Help for Tinnitus Relief & Ringing in the Ears
Have you ever experienced a ringing or buzzing noise in your ears after attending a loud concert, sporting event, using noisy power tools (jackhammers, chain saws), or firing guns without ear protection? That noise you’re hearing that is only audible to you is called tinnitus, and in the case of these examples, it is usually stops after a little while. For one in five people, however, that ringing in the ears is constant.
Tinnitus doesn’t always sound like ringing in the ears. It can be roaring, clicking, buzzing, or hissing. Tinnitus is annoying, but it can become maddening if it worsens to the point that it interferes with hearing actual sounds like conversations or affects your ability to concentrate or sleep. Such sufferers often experience fatigue, anxiety, and more as they search for tinnitus relief.
Tinnitus is a symptom of an underlying condition. There are numerous causes, and finding the actual source of your ringing in the ears can be difficult. Causes include:
- Hearing loss due to age or injury, including lengthy, repeated exposure to loud or high-pitched noise
- Circulatory issues due to high blood pressure or atherosclerosis
- Certain medications, though the tinnitus usually reduces or vanishes when you finish the medication
- Problems in the inner, middle, or outer ear
- Damage to auditory nerves or brain pathways
- Irritation caused by a buildup of earwax
- Hereditary issues that cause changes in the bones of the ear
In these cases, ringing in the ears can be difficult to treat. Finding ways to mask the noise is often used to provide tinnitus relief, without resolving the underlying issues.
Luckily, there is hope for tinnitus sufferers. We are finding that tinnitus can, in many cases, be traced to mouth or jaw issues. Problems with the complex temporomandibular joint (TMJ) can cause tinnitus, as well as headaches and pain and popping in the joint when chewing or yawning. Even issues with unbalanced pressure in the force generated by the jaw can cause ringing in the ears. These issues can be fully resolved, providing lasting tinnitus relief.
If you’re suffering from tinnitus, call us today. Make an appointment for an evaluation and let us see if we can help you.